Tuesday - June 16, 2015

From: AUSTIN, TX
Topic: Turf, Grasses or Grass-like
Title: When do Habiturf® grasses make seeds?

QUESTION:

I planted Habiturf seeds last year near Dripping Springs. It looks like the Buffalo grass has had seeds on it for a week or 2. How long does it need to remain on the live Buffalo Grass before it can be cut so that it will reseed the area more. Plus, when do the other 2 grasses grasses make seeds?

ANSWER:

The three constituent species in Habiturf®, Buffalograss (Bouteloua dactyloides), Blue Grama (Bouteloua gracilis) and Curly Mesquite (Hilaria belangeri) are all warm season grasses.  That is, they flower and set seeds during the warm months of the year.  During warm weather, they may flower at any time.  If you're trying to encourage your grasses' seed production, it's generally safe to mow two or three weeks after you see a any of these grass species flowering.