Monday - May 11, 2015

From: Washington, DC
Topic: Shrubs, Trees
Title: Chickasaw Plum suckering potential in Washington DC area

QUESTION:

I have planted some chickasaw plums around the border of my property. My property is surrounded by a wooded area, which then opens into a golfcourse. Is there a chance that my chickasaw plums would disturb the growth in the wooded area or send suckers out onto the golf course? I like the plums but I dont want them to have an overpowering or invasive effect on my surroundings. Thank you

ANSWER:

Chickasaw plum is much more prone to suckering and forming large clonal colonies in the western part of its range than in the eastern US.  In your area, it tends to grow as a small tree with very limited suckering.  Any root sprouts that do appear on the golf course adjacent to your property will be easily dealt with by the ground crews of the golf course.  The trees should have no affect at all on your woodlands.