Sunday - April 19, 2015

From: Mansfield, TX
Topic: Invasive Plants, Problem Plants, Trees
Title: Removal of Ashe juniper trees

QUESTION:

I have 15 acres with scattered huge oak and elm trees with tens of thousands of Ashe Juniper (cedar) trees 2 to 10 in diameter growing within the drip zone of the hardwoods. How do I take out the cedar without damaging the roots of the hardwoods? Thank you!

ANSWER:

You are in luck!  Juniperus ashei (Ashe juniper) trees do not regrow from cut stumps.  If you cut the trees at about ground level the roots will die, and there will be no damage to nearby hardwood roots.  In fact, the hardwoods will benefit from the rainwater that has been soaked up by the junipers.