Monday - April 27, 2015

Topic: Planting, Trees
Title: Fastest growing shade tree for Austin.

QUESTION:

What is the fastest growing shade tree suitable for Austin? We are anticipating selling or renting our house in two to three years and want a shade tree for a baked full sun area of the yard that will be largish and well established by then. Thank you!

ANSWER:

When planting a tree, there are multiple factors to consider, but three important ones are; tree selection, the size when planted, and growing conditions.

I”m going to provide you with several links that should prove helpful. The first is a previously answered question that is very much like yours, and has some examples of possible trees for you. Pay attention to all the links to the Texas Tree Planting Guide in the answer.

The second is a forum  on fast growing trees. Note the the comment  by "jobert" about the starting size of the tree.

Two other links are about cedar elm and bur oaks and also have useful information.