Monday - May 11, 2015

From: Houston, TX
Title: Power line friendly tree for Houston, TX

QUESTION:

Can you recommend a fast-growing, drought tolerant tree (preferably native) to plant next to a driveway that will provide shade on the southern elevation of a one-story bungalow and also not interfere with the power lines that run parallel to the very near sidewalk and street? Palm tree was recently cut down by power company and summer will arrive in about two months! I'm thinking about either a Texas Redbud or a Jacaranda (non-native) might do the trick. Not looking at trees that might be poisonous to dogs or children. The yard is very narrow, only 15' deep at most, but the palm was planted in a small strip on the other side of the driveway.

ANSWER:

Texas Redbud, Cercis canadensis var. texensis is a good choice for your area and for the place you plan to plant your tree.