Thursday - March 26, 2015

From: Orlando, FL
Topic: Non-Natives, Seeds and Seeding
Title: Seeds and seed pods of bluejacket (Tradescantia ohiensis or Hyacinthus orientalis

QUESTION:

I have lots of bluejacket flowers in my yard. I keep looking for the seed pods but can't find any seeds. Where are the seed pods located on the bluejacket flower? Thanks. Lew Dallas

ANSWER:

I'm not sure if you mean Tradescantia ohiensis (Bluejacket), a native of North America or you mean Hyacinthus orientalis (Blue jacket), a native of Turkey, Syria and Lebanon.

Here is more information about Tradescantia ohienis with photos that show the seeds in the papery seed cases.

Even though Hyacinthus orientalis is a flowering plant and, thus, produces seeds, it is generally propagated by bulbs. Here are more photos of the flowering plant and photos of the ripe seed pods with the seeds inside.  Here are closeups of the seeds and the seed pods.  They will become evident along the flower stalk when the blossoms have dried up.

Ohio spiderwort
Tradescantia ohiensis