Friday - March 27, 2015

From: Fullerton, CA
Topic: Turf, Grasses or Grass-like
Title: Substitute for Habiturf in Fullerton, CA

QUESTION:

Will habiturf grow/thrive in 92835 zip code? I think Im on 10a or 10b hardiness. I have clay soil. Thanks

ANSWER:

Habiturf™ was developed for Texas, Oklahoma, New Mexico and some areas of Arizona.   It would not thrive in Fullerton, California.  However, UC Davis has developed a buffalograss called UC Verde Buffalograss that is geared towards California soils and climate.  In some areas of California it thrives quite well.  You can see photos of UC Verde Buffalograss lawns growing in several Southern California cities on the website.  It requires plenty of sunshine to do well—it does NOT thrive in the shade.  The UC Verde Buffalograss webpage has instructions for preparing your site for a new lawn.

The City of Santa Barbara has an article, Water Wise Lawn Alternatives, that has three possibilities for grasses/grass-like plants that will grow in the Fullerton area:

You might find other articles on the City of Santa Barbara's Water Wise Landscaping page interesting, as well.