Wednesday - March 25, 2015

From: Round Rock, TX
Topic: Seed and Plant Sources, Trees
Title: Source for Hickory in Texas

QUESTION:

I'm looking for a nursery in Texas that sells hickory trees. I've used your supplier links and gone through many, many websites of suppliers. However, the only nut tree anyone sells is pecan. I've spent hours on Google to no avail in my search for a nursery. Do you know of one?

ANSWER:

Surprisingly, even though black hickory (Carya texana) is native to Texas, it is very elusive in the nursery market in Texas. But a possible source is Pine Ridge Gardens in London, Arkansas. They list this hickory on their websit catalog but it is currently out of stock. Patience and persistence might be needed. They have many more hickories such as Carya aquatica (sold out), C. glabra, C. laciniosa (sold out), C. ovata (sold out), and C. tomentosa (sold out).

An alternative route that may result in plants just as fast would be to try obtaining seed and starting your own hickory tree.

Pignut hickory
Carya glabra

Shellbark hickory
Carya laciniosa

Shagbark hickory
Carya ovata

Shagbark hickory
Carya ovata

Black hickory
Carya texana

Black hickory
Carya texana

Mockernut hickory
Carya tomentosa