Suppport the plant database you love!

Wednesday - March 25, 2015

From: Kingsland, TX
Topic: Diseases and Disorders, Shrubs
Title: Leucophyllum Resistant to Verticillium Wilt

QUESTION:

I need to know which large shrubs are resistant to verticillium wilt? I believe that a few of our Elaeagnus have succumbed to this disease, but being over 15 years old, I am not positive. I am thinking of replacing them with Silverado sage or something similar.

ANSWER:

Verticillium wilt has a huge list of susceptible plants from herbaceous to trees, and members of the Elaeagnus genus are susceptible to this vascular disease. Leucophyllum frutescens (Texas sage) is not listed as susceptible so it is a good replacement plant.

Cenizo
Leucophyllum frutescens

Cenizo
Leucophyllum frutescens