Tuesday - March 24, 2015

From: El Paso, TX
Title: Identification of mystery plant in yard in El Paso, Texas

QUESTION:

I have a plant bed in my yard with mostly shade, in the winter it looked like 10-15 sticks about 2-3 ft tall coming from the ground. Now early March there are green and maroon leaves only growing at the very end of the branches. The leaves are deeply veined and only 1-2 inches long. Many yards around me have the same plant. I also have a taller one in yard with the same leaves only at the tip. Is there any way you can figure out my mystery plant?

ANSWER:

Sorry, but from your description no native plant comes to mind.  By now, two weeks after you submitted your question, the plant will have grown and you should have a bit more of the plant to help provide clues to its identification.  Please visit our Plant Identification page where you find links to several plant identification forums that will accept photos of plants for identification.  Be sure to read the "Important Notes..." at the bottom of the page before taking and submitting your photos.