Tuesday - March 03, 2015

From: Chino Valley, AZ
Topic: General Botany, Trees
Title: What shade trees have non-invasive root systems?

QUESTION:

What shade trees have a non-invasive root system? I am in zone 7a. Thank you, Mr. Smarty Plants!

ANSWER:

Mr. Smarty Plants often gets questions about trees with invasive roots. Tree roots don't mean to be invasive, but they ( the roots) have to have a certain amount of earth and exposure to air for the tree to survive.

I’m going to refer you to a previously answered question that will help you understand more about tree roots. Also pay attention to the link to Colorado State University. Another previous answer also addresses a similar question.
As for tree selection, click on this link to our Native Plant Database, and scroll down to the Combination Search box. Select Arizona under State, Tree under Habit, and Perennial Duration. Check Sun under Light requirement,and Dry under Soil moisture. Click on the Submit combination Search button, and you will get a list of 35 tree species that are native to Arizona. Clicking on the scientific name of each plant will bring up its NPIN page that contains a description of the plant, its characteristics and growth requirements, and in most cases, photos. Compare the trees on the list with the trees mentioned in the two previously answered questions.

Hopefully, this will be enough to get you off to a good start.