Friday - March 20, 2015

From: Denver, CO
Topic: Plant Identification, Seeds and Seeding, Trees
Title: Inquiry about the Arizona Cypress trees in the Family Garden
Answered by: Nan Hampton & Andrea DeLong-Amaya

QUESTION:

Dear Mr. Smarty Plants, I recently visited The Wildflower Center and enjoyed seeing several features that were new since my last visit two years ago. In the Family Garden areas I saw several beautiful Arizona Cypress trees. I thought they had very pleasing form and wonder what their point of local origin is. Can you tell me where they or their source seeds were collected. Or if they have a cultivar name? Might seedlings be offered at the Spring Plant Sale? Thank you, Greg in Denver

ANSWER:

The Hesperocyparis arizonica (Arizona cypress) in our Family Garden area are a cultivar called 'Blue Ice' and were purchased through Mountain States Wholesale Nursery. I doubt we'll have seedlings for sale at our plant sale but they can be found at retail nurseries, but you might need to order them.

We hope you will come to our Spring Plant Sale, anyway.   Here are the dates for 2015:

• Friday, April 10 from 9am to 5pm  (Wildflower Center Members only)
  • Saturday, April 11 from 9am to 5pm.
  • Sunday, April 12 from noon to 5pm.

Arizona cypress
Hesperocyparis arizonica