Saturday - February 14, 2015

From: Merced, CA
Topic: Planting, Vines
Title: Need advice ab out raspberry root in Merced CA

QUESTION:

I planted a raspberry root the day that it started raining hard. I was just concerned about the root rotting since there is so much rain going on lately. Will I need to replace it or will the root be okay with all the rainwater coming down? Thank you, Raspberry Jam

ANSWER:

There are over 80 species of Sorbus (the genus that raspberries belong to) listed in our Native Plant Database, so Mr. Smarty Plants has no idea which one your are dealing with.

I’m including four links dealing with raspberries that I found on the web. These may be helpful for you in solving your problem

Stark Brothers

UC Coop Extension

California Garden Web 

Master Gardeners Santa Clara County 

I would also suggest that you contact the folks at the Merced County office of  UC Coop Extension.