Thursday - February 19, 2015

Topic: Pruning, Wildflowers
Title: Pruning Gaura

QUESTION:

My Gaura lindheimeri is very "leggy", but is blooming well at the end of the spindly stems. Should I prune it back or leave it?

ANSWER:

Gaura lindheimeri (Lindheimer's beeblossom) is an easy to grow perennial that is very drought and heat tolerant.  Adequate drainage is needed.

Weston Gardens in Fort Worth, Texas have the following information on their website about pruning Gaura which will help with the legginess that they frequently exhibit.

Gaura will bloom adequately without deadheading. In mid-June or early July, cut back by 1/2  to 2/3. Gaura responds to continued shearing by making producing a deep green foliage in 10” -12” mounds.  Flowering will commence shortly after shearing stops. Make sure to cut the plants to the ground in mid-February leading into spring.

White gaura
Oenothera lindheimeri

White gaura
Oenothera lindheimeri

White gaura
Oenothera lindheimeri

White gaura
Oenothera lindheimeri

White gaura
Oenothera lindheimeri