Thursday - February 12, 2015

From: Seguin, TX
Topic: Seed and Plant Sources, Trees
Title: Looking for Sideroxylon celastrinum (Coma saffron plum) seeds or seedlings

QUESTION:

Hi. I'm trying to find a good commercial source for la coma (Bumelia celastrina) seedlings/seeds. Can you help? Thanks.

ANSWER:

Bumelia celastrina has a new name.  It is now Sideroxylon celastrinum (Coma saffron plum) and it is native to South Texas.  See the distribution in Texas on the USDA Plants Database distribution map.  You can search our National Suppliers Directory by first selecting "List All Suppliers" at the bottom of the SEARCH SUPPLIERS blue rectangle.   Once the list appears then put Texas in the Enter Search Location (City, State or Zip) slot and you will get a list of nurseries in Texas that could potentially carry the tree.  Most of the nurseries have a website and many of the websites lists plants in stock.  For those don't list plants in stock or don't have a website there will be a telephone number to call.  In a quick search among the nurseries in located in South Texas I found that Rancho Lomitas in Rio Grande City lists them for sale (under the old botanical name).  Valley Garden Center in McAllen lists a Coma tree for sale but they don't give the scientific name.  You could give them a call.