Saturday - January 31, 2015

From: Houston, TX
Topic: Pruning, Shrubs
Title: Time for pruning wax myrtle in Texas

QUESTION:

We live in Houston. Can we prune back our southern wax myrtle now?

ANSWER:

Morella cerifera (Wax myrtle) is very forgiving of pruning, and we saw several different suggestions when we searched on the Internet. If you do it right away, before new growth starts to show up, you can prune them now; don't wait until it starts to get hot. Then, after that, prune it a couple times of year to help it regrow into a hedge size and shape. Don't get too severe and boxy in your pruning, as that will ruin the natural character of the plant. If you are getting berries on your myrtles, that means you have female plants and that there are male plants of the same species in the area for pollination.