Saturday - January 17, 2015

From: Baton Rouge, LA, LA
Topic: Shade Tolerant, Vines
Title: Thorny vines for a shady Louisiana fence

QUESTION:

Do you know of a fast growing, non-invasive, thorny vine that I can grow along a shady fence row in Baton Rouge, Louisiana?

ANSWER:

A climbing rose is the logical choice.  Rosa setigera (Climbing prairie rose) would seem to be a good plant for your location.  Other wild roses are not so well suited to your area. Another possibility is Smilax bona-nox (Saw greenbrier).  You may not find the latter plant in a nursery, but it is commonly seen in shady thickets, at least in Texas.  It grows fairly slowly, but provides a good barrier when mature.

Climbing prairie rose
Rosa setigera

Sawbriar
Smilax bona-nox