Sunday - December 21, 2014

From: Dripping Springs, TX
Title: Bluebonnets Emerging in December

QUESTION:

Bluebonnets Emerging in December. We've seen bluebonnets emerging all over our property in the last two weeks. I don't ever remember seeing them come up this early. What will be the impact on the spring bloom of 20 degree weather later this winter? Thanks for your answer!

ANSWER:

Bluebonnet seeds germinate in the fall and overwinter as seedlings.  They often appear as early as October and they are not susceptible to freezing.  The density of seedlings this year is probably the consequence of the frequent fall rains we have experienced.  Here is one of our "How To Articles", How to Grow Bluebonnets, with more information about bluebonnets. 

You can look forward to many blossoms when spring arrives!

Texas bluebonnet
Lupinus texensis

Texas bluebonnet
Lupinus texensis

Texas bluebonnet
Lupinus texensis

Texas bluebonnet
Lupinus texensis