Monday - October 13, 2014

Topic: Diseases and Disorders, Shrubs
Title: Is Sabal minor juglone tolerant?

QUESTION:

Is Sabal minor or any other small and shade tolerant palm juglone tolerant? Id like to plant one in an area near a pecan tree but I am not sure if they will play well together.

ANSWER:

This Mr. Smarty Plants did a considerable amount of searching on the internet to try to determine the answer with no luck at all.   Then, I asked one of our very knowledgeable staff members, Joe Marcus, if he knew the answer.  He reports that there are very healthy Sabal minor (Dwarf palmetto) growing under both pecan trees and walnut trees along Onion Creek near Austin—pretty good evidence that they are not negatively affected by juglone.