Sunday - September 28, 2014

From: Hutto, TX
Topic: Plant Lists, Trees
Title: Tree Recommendations for Hutto, TX
Answered by: Larry Larson

QUESTION:

I live in Hutto, TX. I want shade trees in my back yard. I would like a fast growing tree as well as a slower growing tree. What trees are recommended for my area?

ANSWER:

The Wildflower Center keeps collections of plants that are native to various regions.  In general, Hutto is in the Blackland Prairie Ecoregion.   This link is to the Wildflower Center special collection for the Blackland Prairie Ecoregion

These special collections can be sorted for several different characteristics.  After selecting “Trees” there are still 50 candidates to review for your request!  Speed of growth of these trees is a bit harder to determine; it is sometimes mentioned in the body of the record, both in the NPIN record and more often by the USDA.  After reviewing these, here are those that explicitly fit your request for Slow growing or fast growing trees:

Slow growing:

Carya illinoinensis (Pecan)
Diospyros virginiana (Common persimmon)
Ilex opaca (American holly)
Ilex vomitoria (Yaupon)
Quercus macrocarpa (Bur oak)

Fast Growing:

Acer negundo (Ash-leaf maple)
Fraxinus pennsylvanica (Green ash
Gleditsia triacanthos (Honey locust)
Juglans nigra (Black walnut)
Liquidambar styraciflua (Sweetgum)
Platanus occidentalis (American sycamore)
Populus deltoides (Eastern cottonwood)
Prunus serotina (Black cherry)
Prunus virginiana (Chokecherry
Quercus virginiana (Coastal live oak)
Taxodium distichum (Bald cypress)

The pictures below are in rough order of mature height

Pecan
Carya illinoinensis

Bur oak
Quercus macrocarpa

Sweetgum
Liquidambar styraciflua

Green ash
Fraxinus pennsylvanica

Black walnut
Juglans nigra

Black cherry
Prunus serotina

Coastal live oak
Quercus virginiana

Box elder
Acer negundo

Honey locust
Gleditsia triacanthos

American holly
Ilex opaca

Common persimmon
Diospyros virginiana

Yaupon