Monday - September 29, 2014

From: Wichita Falls, TX
Topic: Propagation, Shrubs
Title: Planting Artemisia Cuttings in Texas

QUESTION:

I've rooted a number of artemisia plants in water and have transplanted them to pots. They grow so very well in our dry drought-stricken soil and need very little water. I'd like to transition these plants to my landscape. Can I do that this fall, or should I wait until spring?

ANSWER:

Many of the native artemisia are great plants for low water use areas. Congratulations on successfully propagating your plants. In Texas you should be able to plant your artemisia into the garden this fall. Just watch that you don't put it in a location that will get excess rain this winter or be water logged. Artemisia are best sited in a location that has well-drained soil and is in full sun.

Sand sagebrush
Artemisia filifolia

Prairie sagewort
Artemisia frigida

Louisiana artemisia
Artemisia ludoviciana

White sagebrush
Artemisia ludoviciana ssp. mexicana