Thursday - September 18, 2014

From: Ft. Worth, TX
Topic: Plant Lists, Shrubs
Title: Dwarf Yaupon Holly Cultivar Heights

QUESTION:

What is the largest of the dwarf yaupons?

ANSWER:

The Virginia Cooperative Extension website has a good list of Yaupon holly (Ilex vomitoria) cultivars that Alex Niemiera, Associate Professor, Department of Horticulture has compiled.

Of the dwarf hollies, most mature to around 3 feet in height and width.  There is one that is slightly taller. According to Dr. Niemiera, ‘Nana’ reaches about 5 feet in height at maturity.

The other dwarf cultivars are:

‘Schillings’ (same as ‘Stokes Dwarf’) a true dwarf, compact mound – moreso than ‘Nana’. Wikipedia lists 'Schillings' as growing to .6 m tall and 1.2 m wide. Note that some call this ‘Schillings Dwarf’ and list the size as 3’ high x 3’ wide.

‘Condeaux’ Bordeaux  Dwarf Yaupon Holly.  Monrovia Nursery lists 'Condeaux' as growing to 3’ tall and wide.

For cultural information about the species, Ilex vomitoria, consult our Native Plants Database.

Yaupon is slow-growing and tends to get thick and twiggy on the inside, making it ideal for dense hedges but requiring careful pruning to shape it into a tree. You must have both a male and female plant to have berries. Male and female flowers are found on separate plants. Nursery plants are typically female (fruiting) and are propagated by cuttings.Yaupon is a versatile plant that tolerates drought and poor drainage, with best production of red fruit when shrub gets half a day of sun

Yaupon

Yaupon

Yaupon

Yaupon