Sunday - July 20, 2014

From: Sebring, FL
Topic: Problem Plants, Trees
Title: Controlling live oak suckers in Florida

QUESTION:

How do I kill emerging live oak sprouts coming from mature tree root system

ANSWER:

Please read the answer to a recent question and a follow-up to that question.  In those two answers there are further links to advice on solving your problem.  Although your question concerns live oaks in Florida, most likely Quercus virginiana (Coastal live oak), the answers address live oaks in Central Texas (generally, a mixture of Quercus fusiformis (Escarpment live oak) and Quercus virginiana (Coastal live oak)); the answers to the questions cited would apply to your treatment of live oak sprouts or "suckers" in Florida.