Wednesday - July 02, 2014

From: Dripping Springs, TX
Title: Non-native Meyer lemon problems in Dripping Springs, TX.

QUESTION:

I have a Meyer lemon that looks very sick. The leaves, limbs, and fruit all have brownish gold raised spots that are the size of a pin head. The spots on the leaves seem to run along the center of the leaf and along the veins of the leaf surface.Yet, there is some new growth of leaves, blooms and small fruit that eventually dies or is overtaken by this beast. Tree had over 50 healthy lemons when this all started. Tried an all sulfur/pyrethrine/fungicide product, to no avail. Whatever it is, its very aggressive. PS I have pictures if my description is lacking.

ANSWER:

We wish we could be more helpful, but the focus of our research and the extent of our expertise are limited to those plant species native to North America.  Meyer lemon is native to China.  As it is a very popular plant in your part of the country there is a good chance that others in your are have had the same problems and that your county's AgriLife Extension Service office can identify the cause of the problem and perhaps recommend a treatment or remedy.