Wednesday - June 11, 2014

Title: Is Matelea reticulata invasive? Will it take over a crossvine?

QUESTION:

I have 50 feet of fencing with a healthy crop of cross vine on it. Pearl milkweed (I believe it is Matelea reticulata) is growing into portions of the cross vine. Is the milkweed too invasive for the cross vine? Should I remove it? Or leave it? Thanks.

ANSWER:

Matelea reticulata (Green milkweed vine) is a fascinating vine with amazing pearl-centered flowers.   It is not aggressive and is not likely to be able to take over your Bignonia capreolata (Crossvine).  It will like to twine around and in through the crossvine, but not completely take over.   Enjoy them both!

Pearl milkweed vine
Matelea reticulata

Pearl milkweed vine
Matelea reticulata

Crossvine
Bignonia capreolata