Sunday - May 11, 2014

From: Scottsdale, AZ
Topic: Non-Natives, Transplants, Trees
Title: Transplanting non-native crape myrtle in Scottsdale AZ

QUESTION:

When is the best time to transplant dwarf crape myrtle in Scottsdale AZ?

ANSWER:

From Floridata, this article on Lagerstroemia indica (crapemyrtle) will give you far more information than we can. The Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center, home of Mr. Smarty Plants, is committed to the growth, propagation and protection of plants native not only to North America but also to the area in which they are being grown; in your case, Maricopa Co., AZ. Since this plant is native to Asia, we do not have it in our Native Plant Database. We can tell you that we recommend transplanting woody plants (trees and shrubs) in cool weather, December and January.

Here is more information on crapemyrtle from the United States National Arboretum.