Suppport the plant database you love!

Friday - April 25, 2014

From: Dripping Springs, TX
Topic: Privacy Screening, Shrubs
Title: Privacy Hedge for Dripping Springs, TX
Answered by: Larry Larson

QUESTION:

We live in Dripping Springs, TX and are looking to find a suggestion for privacy hedges that are non-toxic to dogs, drought resistant, can handle rocky soil and full sun. We prefer flowering hedges. Can you give us some advice?

ANSWER:

Your neighbors have asked quite similar questions a number of times!  Here’s a good selection of Mr Smarty Plants work that applies to your question (with lots of commentary and advice):

Landscaping plans in Kyle TX   [also concerned about toxicity to dogs]

Privacy screen for Canyon Lake, TX  

Natural privacy hedge for Kyle Texas  

A Bounty of Edibles for New Braunfels Texas  [supporting birds, bees, butterflies]

Patio Privacy Screen Suggestions for Central Texas 

Need small, fast growing trees for privacy screen in Buda, TX.  

Reviewing these; the following shrubs/trees are suggested:

Leucophyllum frutescens (Texas cenizo)   [Flowering]
Morella cerifera (wax myrtle)  [berries & flowers]
Rhus virens (evergreen sumac)  [flowers]
Ilex vomitoria (yaupon)  [berries]
Sophora secundiflora (mountain laurel)  [flowers]
 Garrya ovata ssp. lindheimeri (Lindheimer's silktassel)
Juniperus ashei (Ashe's juniper or cedar)   maybe not so recommended!

Cenizo
Leucophyllum frutescens

Wax myrtle

Evergreen sumac
Rhus virens

Yaupon

Texas mountain laurel
Sophora secundiflora

Lindheimer's silktassel
Garrya ovata ssp. lindheimeri

Ashe juniper
Juniperus ashei