About the Seed Grant Program
The Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center in partnership with Native American Seed awards grants of seed (Seed Grants) to Texas schools (K-12) that support the Wildflower Center’s mission to conserve, restore and create healthy landscapes. Seed grants can be used to establish wildflower demonstration areas, to enhance existing wildflower sites, or in other educationally directed projects.
Seed Grant Criteria:
- Texas elementary, middle or high schools may apply for Seed Grants.
- Planting area should be at least 500 square feet (1,000 square feet recommended). An average pound of wildflower/prairie grass mix easily covers 1,000 square feet.
- Seed Grant recipients agree to submit a project report within one year of the date of the award, including before and after color pictures of the planting area. Students should be involved with development of the report.
- Applicants cannot apply for another grant for the same school during the same school calendar year that the original grant was awarded.
Seed Grant Recommendations:
- The project leader should be knowledgeable and committed.
- Applicants for Seed Grants should establish a mentoring partnership with a member of Texas Master Naturalists, the Native Plant Society of Texas or some other local environmental organization.
- Applicants should familiarize themselves with the following How To articles from the Wildflower Center’s website: Getting Started, Meadow Gardening and Recreating a Prairie.
Complete the application form to submit your request for a Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center Seed Grant. Applications will be considered year round provided there are funds in the Seed Grant program. Seed Grant recipients will receive a gift certificate of “Seed Money” to purchase seed from Native American Seed valued at $100. Improperly submitted applications will not be considered for Seed Grants.
LADY BIRD'S LEGACY
Sowing the Future, One Seed at a Time
In support of Lady Bird's Legacy, a special mix of Central Texas wildflower seeds has been created by the Wildflower Center in collaboration with Native American Seed. A share of the proceeds from the sale of Lady Bird's Legacy Mix goes to fund the Wildflower Center's Seed Grant Program.
Components of the mix are among Lady Bird’s favorites, and are well-suited to Central Texas. Comprised of annuals and perennials you will see blooms from spring – early summer.
Purchase Lady Bird's Legacy Mix online.
Map of Seed Grant Awards (N=284 Awards)Key