The communications office of the Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center at The University of Texas at Austin provides media with timely, accurate information about the Wildflower Center. Below are recent press releases related to Center events and to staff expertise on conservation practices, native plant gardening, nature education, and native plant resources and research findings. For more information or photos beyond those on the newsroom site, please contact:
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
February 28, 2011
What: Wildflower Days™, the Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center’s spring season of events.
When: Monday, March 14, through Tuesday, May 31. The center grounds are open every day, 9 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.
Where: The Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center at The University of Texas at Austin, 4801 La Crosse Ave, Austin, Texas.
Background: A few Texas bluebonnets and windflowers have begun opening on site at the Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center as an early start to our peak event season. The Wildflower Center hosts public events throughout the spring, including:
- Artists & Artisan Festival, Saturday & Sunday, March 19 and 20— more than 25 artists sell their wares in ceramics, wood, metal and more.
- Spring Plant Sale & Gardening Festival, Saturday and Sunday, April 9 and 10—gardening tips from experts and plenty of wildflowers and native plants, including drought-tolerant options.
- National Wildflower Week Photo Exhibit, Sunday, May 1, through Saturday, May 7—Texas Highways and the Wildflower Center present a portfolio of wildflower photographs. Sponsored by Canon.
- National Public Gardens Day, Friday, May 6--Free admission to Better Homes & Gardens subscribers with a magazine coupon.
- Gardens on Tour, Saturday, May 7—a tour of five public native plant gardens plus the Wildflower Center on Mother’s Day weekend.
- Wildflower Gala, Friday, May 13—The most fun – and the most sustainable – garden party you will ever attend, with former first lady Mrs. Laura W. Bush as a special guest.
Information: For information on events, call 512.232.0100 or visit http://www.wildflower.org.
Daily Admission: $8 adults, $7 seniors and students, $3 children, and free for members and childrenunder 5.