Mr. Smarty Plants - Source for purchase of native Salvia texana

Friday - February 23, 2007

From: Albany, CA
Title: Source for purchase of native Salvia texana

QUESTION:

Good morning, Do you or do you know someone who carries Salvia texana? It has been impossible for me to obtain this beautiful Native Texan. Please respond at your earliest convenience with information. Regards.

ANSWER:

We have two plant sales a year—a Spring Plant Sale and a Fall Plant Sale and Salvia texana is on the list for our Spring Plant Sale. The Spring Plant Sale for 2007 will begin Friday, April 13 (1 to 7PM) with a preview sale for Wildflower Center members only. The sale for the general public will be held Saturday and Sunday (9AM-5PM), April 14 and 15. Please check the Wildflower Center web page closer to the weekend of the sale for a list of the plants available and for more information about the sale. We do not send plants through the mail or other shipping companies.

The National Suppliers Directory on the Wildflower Center web site has listings of nurseries and seed companies specializing in native plants in North America. I did a check on those companies listing web sites in Texas and New Mexico (the states in the distribution of S. texana), but found none with S. texana offered for sale. It might be worthwhile calling those without web site listings to see if they carry it. You might also find a source by contacting the Native Plant Society of Texas and the Native Plant Society of New Mexico.

April is the premier time for viewing wildflowers in Central Texas. Why not plan a trip to the Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center for our Spring Sale to purchase Salvia texana and view the spring wildflowers enroute?