Mr. Smarty Plants - Sprout from a non-native sago palm in Poinciana FL

Wednesday - October 16, 2013

From: Poinciana, FL
Topic: Non-Natives, Pruning, Shrubs
Title: Sprout from a non-native sago palm in Poinciana FL

QUESTION:

I have two mature (10 years old)sago palms. One of them sprouted a new "head' at the top of the trunk. It is competing with the original one. It is not a pup coming from the root area. Can I cut it off without destroying the whole palm?

ANSWER:

Happily, we found a previous Mr. Smarty Plants answer that deals with almost the exact same problem. Since the Sago Palm is non-native and therefore not in our realm of expertise, you will find several links in the previous answer that give you still more information.