Saturday - February 10, 2007

Topic: Container Gardens
Title: Container Gardening with Texas Native Plants
Answered by: Damon Waitt

I live in an apartment in Austin, Texas and want adorn my balcony with a window box this spring. Could you recommend flowers that I could plant that do not need a lot of space to flourish? Also how many flowers should I plant in one box around 24 inches long?

You are in luck my apartment dwelling friend. The How to Article, Container Gardening with Texas Native Plants, will answer your questions about container gardening in Austin. If the container is to stay put for a while, a grouping of plants looks best when a variety of bloom periods, textures, and forms are selected. For a window box 24" long, you should easily be able to fit several herbaceous annuals.