En EspaÑol

Monday - October 07, 2013

From: Cedar Park, TX
Topic: Non-Natives, Diseases and Disorders, Shrubs
Title: Problems with non-native photinia in Austin

QUESTION:

Hi, I live in Cedar Park, TX (Austin Suburb)and have planted a number of Photinia shrubs in various areas of my property. All about 10 months old. The leaves are curling along their length on many of them in two area. They are curling up into semi tube shapes that resemble a closed Venus Fly Trap plant in shape. The plants appear to be otherwise healthy, with lots of new red growth appearing after the heavy 2" rainfall of about 10 days ago. I have sprayed them twice with Neem Oil mixed at the higher concentration that works for either Fungus or insects, and have seen no change. The curled leaves do not have any evidence of catepillar pupae or webs as might be the case with a leaf roller infestation, however, I DID notice when I last sprayed them with the Neem oil, that I did have some tiny moth like insects flying off as I sprayed them. Any suggestions or ideas? These are still under warranty, for a few more weeks, and I have talked to Home Depot where I bought them, and they have told me I can return them with no questions asked.

ANSWER:

It would be nice if you could return the photinias; read this previous Mr. Smarty Plants answer to see why,