Mr. Smarty Plants - Planting times and sun for native plants from Austin

Sunday - October 06, 2013

Topic: Seeds and Seeding, Herbs/Forbs
Title: Planting times and sun for native plants from Austin

QUESTION:

When to plant Phacelia congesta seeds? Can Maximilian sunflowers tolerate partial shade?

ANSWER:

Following this link, Phacelia congesta (Blue curls), to our webpage on this plant, you will find these propagation instructions:

"Propagation

Propagation Material: Seeds
Description: Easy to grow from seed sown in fall."

This link, Helianthus maximiliani (Maximilian sunflower), will take you to our webpage with this information:

"Growing Conditions

Water Use: Low
Light Requirement: Sun
Soil Moisture: Dry , Moist
Soil Description: Prefers moist clay-like soil, but tolerant of a wide range of soils including Limestone-based, Sandy, Sandy Loam, Medium Loam, Clay Loam, Clay.
Conditions Comments: A native prairie perennial, this sunflower is a desirable range plant, eaten by many livestock. A heavy crop of seeds is produced, thus it is also a valuable plant for wildlife. Numerous yellow flower heads grow on their its stalk."

We consider "sun" to be 6 hours or more of sun a day, and partial shade to be 2 to 6 hours of sun. With native flowers, the more sun, the better the flowering is usually the rule. Since it is a perennial, you could always try some in sun and some in partial shade, and see which perseveres.

Blue curls
Phacelia congesta

Blue curls
Phacelia congesta

Blue curls
Phacelia congesta

Maximilian sunflower
Helianthus maximiliani

Maximilian sunflower
Helianthus maximiliani

Maximilian sunflower
Helianthus maximiliani