Sunday - October 06, 2013

Topic: Seeds and Seeding, Herbs/Forbs
Title: Planting times and sun for native plants from Austin

QUESTION:

When to plant Phacelia congesta seeds? Can Maximilian sunflowers tolerate partial shade?

ANSWER:

Following this link, Phacelia congesta (Blue curls), to our webpage on this plant, you will find these propagation instructions:

"Propagation

Propagation Material: Seeds
Description: Easy to grow from seed sown in fall."

This link, Helianthus maximiliani (Maximilian sunflower), will take you to our webpage with this information:

"Growing Conditions

Water Use: Low
Light Requirement: Sun
Soil Moisture: Dry , Moist
Soil Description: Prefers moist clay-like soil, but tolerant of a wide range of soils including Limestone-based, Sandy, Sandy Loam, Medium Loam, Clay Loam, Clay.
Conditions Comments: A native prairie perennial, this sunflower is a desirable range plant, eaten by many livestock. A heavy crop of seeds is produced, thus it is also a valuable plant for wildlife. Numerous yellow flower heads grow on their its stalk."

We consider "sun" to be 6 hours or more of sun a day, and partial shade to be 2 to 6 hours of sun. With native flowers, the more sun, the better the flowering is usually the rule. Since it is a perennial, you could always try some in sun and some in partial shade, and see which perseveres.

Maximilian sunflower
Helianthus maximiliani

Maximilian sunflower
Helianthus maximiliani

Maximilian sunflower
Helianthus maximiliani