Mr. Smarty Plants - Identity of shrubs in Austin neighborhood

Monday - September 30, 2013

Title: Identity of shrubs in Austin neighborhood

QUESTION:

I have run across two beautiful bushes in our neighborhood. They have flowering branches that daisy-chain out like a fountain. No one can tell me what they are. They are located in front and on the west side of a duplex at 8811 Springmail Circle. This duplex is on my street but on the other side of the street and at the other end. It is on the corner of Springmail and Anderson MIll Road. I was wondering if you know or could help me get a name for these bushes. How can I send three pictures I took yesterday evening.

ANSWER:

Our focus and expertise here at the Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center are with plants native to North America and the plants you describe are very unlikely to be native plants since they are growing in association with lawns and residences.  They are most likely non-native introduced cultivars and not really in our purview.

The only plant that I can think of that has a growth habit similar to your description is Jasminum mesnyi (Chinese jasmine) that, as the name implies, is a native of China.  I do know that these shrubs occur around the Austin area.  Here are more photos from Plantas y Jardin. It would be helpful to know what color the flowers on the shrubs are.  The ones on the Chinese jasmine are yellow.

If you visit our Plant Identification page, you will find links to several plant identification forums that will accept photos of plants for identification.   Read the "Important Notes" on that page for tips on taking photos to submit.