Mr. Smarty Plants - Identity of shrub growing wild in Austin Texas area

Monday - September 23, 2013

Title: Identity of shrub growing wild in Austin Texas area

QUESTION:

Hi! I need help identifying a bush growing wild in my area. I have pictures of leaves fruit and bark. I cant find a good place to post these in order to ID plant. I'm in Austin TX area. Thanks!

ANSWER:

You can visit our Plant Identification page to find links to several plant identification forums that will accept photos of plant for purposes of identification.  We did try to provide that service ourselves at one time, but we were soon overwhelmed with so many photos and identification requests that we did not have enough staff and volunteers to handle them and to answer all the other questions we receive as well.   

You are welcome to send a description of the shrub with information about its size, the size and shape of its leaves and their arrangement on the branches/stems (opposite each other or alternate on the stem), description of any fruit and/or flowers, and any unusual features such as thorns and we might be able to give you at least some possibilities for its identity.