Wednesday - September 18, 2013

From: Emory, TX
Topic: Plant Lists
Title: Native Plants for Emory Texas
Answered by: Brigid & Larry Larson

QUESTION:

I live in Emory Texas want to plant native plants in my yard. I am new to Texas and need help.

ANSWER:

Welcome to Texas – Y’all should come down to the Wildflower Center, just south of Austin, and we’ll show you a good time!  More seriously, the Wildflower Center has resources both onsite and online that can help you develop a lovely native yard.

For on-line resources, useful to select plants for your yard, you can pull up a list of Recommended Native Plants from the link with that name.  Appropriate for Rains County would be either the North Central Texas Recommended Species List -or the Post Oak & Savannah Ecoregion List. 

On each of these lists – you can select from the General Appearance of the plant [Trees, Shrubs, Vines, etc.], their Light Requirement, Soil Moisture, Height and several other attributes to help you find a few useful natives that will help you build a plan for the yard.

While you’re at it – The website also has a good selection of “How To” articles  [My eyes fell on the Gardening Timeline, that might be of aid in coping with Texas Weather] and Step-by-step guides. 

And – of course – feel free to ask Mr Smarty Plants your more detailed questions once they emerge!

[Heres a selection of native Wildflowers and plants you should be able to see in your neighborhood!]

Huisache daisy
Amblyolepis setigera

Butterflyweed

Entireleaf indian paintbrush
Castilleja indivisa

Evening rain lily
Cooperia drummondii

Plains coreopsis
Coreopsis tinctoria

Eastern purple coneflower
Echinacea purpurea

Cusp gayfeather
Liatris mucronata