Wednesday - September 18, 2013

From: Emory, TX
Topic: Plant Lists
Title: Native Plants for Emory Texas
Answered by: Brigid & Larry Larson

I live in Emory Texas want to plant native plants in my yard. I am new to Texas and need help.

Welcome to Texas – Y’all should come down to the Wildflower Center, just south of Austin, and we’ll show you a good time!  More seriously, the Wildflower Center has resources both onsite and online that can help you develop a lovely native yard.

For on-line resources, useful to select plants for your yard, you can pull up a list of Recommended Native Plants from the link with that name.  Appropriate for Rains County would be either the North Central Texas Recommended Species List -or the Post Oak & Savannah Ecoregion List. 

On each of these lists – you can select from the General Appearance of the plant [Trees, Shrubs, Vines, etc.], their Light Requirement, Soil Moisture, Height and several other attributes to help you find a few useful natives that will help you build a plan for the yard.

While you’re at it – The website also has a good selection of “How To” articles  [My eyes fell on the Gardening Timeline, that might be of aid in coping with Texas Weather] and Step-by-step guides. 

And – of course – feel free to ask Mr Smarty Plants your more detailed questions once they emerge!

[Heres a selection of native Wildflowers and plants you should be able to see in your neighborhood!]

Huisache daisy
Amblyolepis setigera

Callirhoe involucrata

Texas indian paintbrush
Castilleja indivisa

Hill country rain lily
Cooperia pedunculata

Plains coreopsis
Coreopsis tinctoria

Eastern purple coneflower
Echinacea purpurea

Indian blanket
Gaillardia pulchella

Texas liatris
Liatris punctata var. mucronata