Wednesday - September 04, 2013

From: Buda, TX
Topic: Planting, Transplants, Shrubs
Title: When is the best time to transplant Esperanza bushe in Buda, TX?

When is the best time to transplant an Esperanza bush? I want to move it because it is overwhelming my front yard. Thank you,

You need to be aware that one of the things that go along with transplanting is the possibility of transplant shock. Disturbing the root system of a plant creates stress which can result in transplant shock. A couple of general caveats you should follow is to do the transplanting in the late fall  or early spring when the temperatures are more moderate, and select your new site for the plant and prepare the hole before you dig up the plant.

I’m going to refer you to several sites that have more tips about transplant shock and how you might avoid it.

Clemson Extension 

Morton Arboretum 

Northscaping.com I

Northscaping.com II

Another source of help could be the folks at the Hays County office of Texas AgriLife Extension.