Mr. Smarty Plants - What to do with 200 yucca seedlings in Sandusky, OH?

Saturday - August 31, 2013

From: sandusky, OH
Topic: Planting, Propagation, Herbs/Forbs
Title: What to do with 200 yucca seedlings in Sandusky, OH?

QUESTION:

I have over two hundred 3 month old yucca seedlings from my last yr. Yucca plants. I soaked the the seeds for 24 hrs. planted them in trays and now they are abt. 2 inch tall. My question is, should I place them in the ground or keep them in side for the 1st winter zone 5 Sandusky,Ohio. Thanks

ANSWER:

You didn’t mention which Yucca you have, but there are 28 species listed in our Native Plant Database, with Yucca filamentosa (Adam's needle) being the only one that grows natively in Ohio. Many of the others are found farther west with Yucca arkansana (Arkansas yucca) and Yucca glauca (Soapweed yucca) being found in Missouri.

Mr. Smarty Plants isn’t sure what you plan on doing  with 200 plus yucca seedlings, but placing them all in the ground seems labor seems labor intensive. Are you eventually going to pot them? Potting them now,  and keeping them them inside or perhaps in a cold frame for the winter would seem to be a better use of your time. It also may be easier on the plants.

This link to gardeningknowhow.com has some tips for growing and caring for yucca plants.