Wednesday - January 31, 2007

From: Frederic, WI
Title: Prime wildflower bloom viewing times in Texas

QUESTION:

I am planning to drive from Wisconsin to San Antonio in the spring. My schedule is flexible, so I would like to time the trip with the wildflower bloom. I grew up in Texas, but I can't remember when the wildflowers typically bloom. Can you help me narrow down the time frame? Can you also tell me if the conditions have been favorable for a good bloom this spring? Thanks.

ANSWER:

The Texas Hill Country has been experiencing drought conditions this fall, but the precipitation for January 2007 has been well above average. This is good news for the wildflowers. If we continue to receive normal or above normal rainfall, we should see a very good display of wildflowers this spring. Although bluebonnets and other wildflowers will usually begin blooming in early March and continue into May, the first weekend in April is usually when we can count on the peak of bluebonnet blooms. This may vary a bit, however, depending on temperatures and rainfall.

You can check on sightings and progress of blooming by visiting the following web sites:

1. Every spring the Wildflower Center devotes a portion of our website to wildflower sightings in the area. You can view this information, beginning around the middle of March, by browsing the Wildflower Center website and choosing the link from the "What's New" section.
2. Lonestar Internet, Inc. provides information on sightings and routes for viewing wildflowers.
3. You can find more routes and information at the Texas Hill Country Wildflower Trail web site.
4. DeWitt County offers its own wildflower site.
5. Brenham, Texas in Washington County also has a wildflower site. On the Brenham page, select "Visitor Information", then "Nature Watch" to find their information on wildflowers.