Mr. Smarty Plants - More on bluebonnets

Tuesday - January 30, 2007

From: Dallas, TX
Title: More on bluebonnets

QUESTION:

When will the bluebonnets bloom in the Hill Country this spring? Please let us know. Thank you.

ANSWER:

Bluebonnets may begin blooming as early as late February and continue blooming until early June. Of course, rainfall and temperature can affect the onset and intensity of blooming, but the peak usually occurs around the first week of April.

The Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center is at the edge of the Texas Hill Country and we think the Hill Country has the best wildflower show in the state. Every Spring, in order to help you decide where and when to go to see this beautiful phenomenon, we devote a portion of our website to wildflower sightings in the area. You can view this information, beginning around the middle of March, by browsing the Wildflower Center website and choosing the link from the "What's New" section. Several other groups provide information on sightings and routes for viewing wildflowers. One of these is Lonestar Internet, Inc. You can find more routes and information at the Texas Hill Country Wildflower Trail web site. DeWitt County offers its own wildflower site as does Brenham, Texas in Washington County. On the Brenham page, select "Visitor Information", then "Nature Watch" to find their information on wildflowers.