Friday - August 02, 2013

From: Kenosha, WI
Topic: User Comments
Title: Responsibility for tree limb removal from Kenosha WI

Who is responsible for tree limb removal. Tree limbs are growing in between power wires and are also breaking about to fall. Im renting a house in Kenosha, Wi. Landlord has done nothing.

Sorry, you have reached a wrong number. The Mr. Smarty Plants Team, with the support of the Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center in Austin, Texas, answers questions in regard to the growth, propagation and protection of plants native not only to North America but to the region in which those plants are being grown; in your case, Kenosha County, WI. Since this member of the team lives in Austin, we have no idea to whom you would appeal about dangerous tree limbs.

However, an alter ego of Mr. Smarty Plants, Mr. Common Sense, does occasionally chime in on questions out of S. Plant's realm of expertise. We would suggest contacting whoever is in charge of the maintenance of those power lines: the City, the County, the utility company, and advise whoever answers the phone of your concerns. That person, or persons, should be able to advise you on what to do. Ordinarily, those authorities are as interested in preventing damage to overhead wires as you are. If the consensus of those whom you call is that it is the responsibility of the landowner, we would suggest you contact that landowner (your landlord, presumably) in writing with the information you have received. Of course, keep copies and notes on all correspondence. We are not lawyers, and don't presume to give legal advice. If you feel your home, family and/or cars are in imminent danger and you get no action from any of your other contacts, it might well be time to consult a lawyer.