Wednesday - July 31, 2013

Topic: Diseases and Disorders, Trees
Title: Problems with red oak from Austin

I planted 3 Texas Red Oaks several years ago. The trees are in a tight cluster just a few feet apart. At the end of last summer, one of them began to develop brown spots and yellowed leaves. This summer, that tree looks very diseased, and the next tree has a couple branches that look similar. The third tree seems to be largely unaffected. Could this be oak wilt? What should I do about this? Thanks for your help.

There are several oaks with the common name "red oak" but Quercus buckleyi (Texas red oak) is shown on this USDA Plant Profile Map as growing naturally in Travis County.

Here is a recent Mr. Smarty Plants answer from North Central Texas which pretty much answers your questions about red oak problems. Please follow all the links in that answer for more information.

Texas red oak
Quercus buckleyi

Texas red oak
Quercus buckleyi