Friday - August 02, 2013

From: Birmingham, AL
Topic: Groundcovers
Title: Evergreen groundcover for full sun in Alabama

QUESTION:

Mr. Smartyplants, can you suggest a native, evergreen, full-sun groundcover that might thrive in zone 8a? We hope to find a mass planting that would look good beside Heuchera villosa 'autumn bride,' in nearby shade. This is for a memorial site. Thank you so much!

ANSWER:

There are not too many possibilities but here are a few.  All are listed as evergreen or semi-evergreen, will grow in the sun and all grow in Alabama:

Antennaria plantaginifolia (Plantain-leaf pussytoes)  Here is more information from Missouri Botanical Garden, Kansas Native Plants and Illinois Wildflowers.

Coreopsis lanceolata (Lanceleaf coreopsis)   Here is more information from Ohio State University and Illinois Wildflowers.

Dryopteris cristata (Crested woodfern)  Here is more information from North Carolina State University.

Packera aurea (Golden ragwort)  Here is more information from Missouri Botanical Garden.

Salvia lyrata (Lyreleaf sage)  Here is more information from Floridata.

Be sure to read the requirements for each plant under GROWING CONDITIONS on its species page and compare them to your site to check for compatibility.

Woman's tobacco
Antennaria plantaginifolia

Lanceleaf coreopsis
Coreopsis lanceolata

Lanceleaf coreopsis
Coreopsis lanceolata

Crested woodfern
Dryopteris cristata

Golden groundsel
Packera aurea

Golden groundsel
Packera aurea

Lyreleaf sage
Salvia lyrata

Lyreleaf sage
Salvia lyrata