Mr. Smarty Plants - Growing non-vascular moss as a lawn from Seattle WA

Saturday - July 27, 2013

From: Seattle, WA
Region: Northwest
Topic: Groundcovers, Shade Tolerant
Title: Growing non-vascular moss as a lawn from Seattle WA
Answered by:

QUESTION:

I have lots of moss in my back yard. How can I encourage it to grow over the whole yard?

ANSWER:

The thing is, Mr. Smarty Plants limits himself to answering questions on vascular plants native to North America. We have so many questions on native vascular plants, we would never even come close to keeping up if we also answered questions on non-vascular plants like mosses or non-native plants such as Banksia grossa (native to Australia).

From wacona.com, this article Plant Groups explains the differences between vascular plants (our specialty) and non-vascular plants (mosses, algae). From Moss Acres, here is information on Growing Moss. From what we can see, to grow moss as a lawn, you need damp conditions and a whole lot of shade.