Wednesday - July 24, 2013

From: Salado, TX
Topic: Diseases and Disorders, Trees
Title: Yellowing leaves on Mexican Plum in Salado, TX.

QUESTION:

I do live in Cental Texas (Salado) and I have the same problem with my Mexican Plum as the lady in Bellaire, TX. Mine was planted in June in a raised bed and receives sun all day long. Within the last month, the leaves are turning a yellowish brown with red veins. There are also little holes in the greener leaves which are curled downward. This tree is very special to me for it was planted in honor of my mother who passed away last Christmas. I would be so sad if I lost this tree. Please help!

ANSWER:

The answer to the Mexican Plum question (SP #9540) from Bellaire, I thought, was pretty thorough, but there is a difference in your situation. Since the tree was planted in June, your tree may experiencing transplant shock.

I am including three links that tell about transplant shock and offer remedies for the problem.

gardeningknowhow.com 

northscaping.com 1

northscaping.com 2

I would also suggest that you contact the folks at the Bell County office Texas AgriLife Extension  to get someone to tak a look at the tree.

Good luck with your Mexican Plum.