Thursday - July 25, 2013

From: Biscayne Park, FL
Title: Wild flowers in North Texas for October wedding from Biscayne FL

QUESTION:

I am getting married in north Texas in October. I want to use wild flowers in addition to daisies. Which ones are in bloom in early oct? I've heard using flowers in season are more reasonably priced. Thank you!!

ANSWER:

Well, that's refreshing. Usually when we hear from prospective brides, they are asking what seeds they can sprinkle around and have a wildflower garden in a month or so. Just so you know what we are talking about, you might read some of those previous answers:

Alabama

Missouri

Valley Mills TX

Now, to your specific question. Have you checked to see if cut wildflowers are sold in the area where your wedding will be, and at what price? Or do you have access to property where wildflowers grow and permission to pick flowers from them? We have a list of native flowers suitable for using in arrangements composed by our "Flower Ladies" who come in and make beautiful arrangements for all over the Wildflower Center; however, they have access to what is blooming in the Wildflower Center, which the public does not. You can follow each plant link to our webpage on that plant for information, pictures and bloom times.We also have a How-To Article on Wildflower Arrangements.

Now, to answer your original question: We will go to our Recommended Species for North Central Texas and sort it by using the sidebar on the right hand side of that page. On that, we will select "herb" (herbaceous blooming plant) and October for bloom time. That results in a list of 15 plants, from which we will select 12- that's all the room we have for pictures but, again, you can follow plant links. There will probably be some duplication between the lists, but this will help you zero in on what is blooming then. Each plant has a range of blooming times, and there is no guarantee that any individual we suggest will actually be in bloom when you go looking.

Wildflowers Blooming in October in North Central Texas:

Conoclinium coelestinum (Blue mistflower) - July to November

Helianthus maximiliani (Maximilian sunflower) - August to November

Liatris mucronata (Cusp gayfeather) - August to December

Lobelia cardinalis (Cardinal flower) - May to October

Machaeranthera tanacetifolia (Tanseyleaf tansyaster) - May to October

Melampodium leucanthum (Blackfoot daisy) - March to November

Ratibida columnifera (Mexican hat) - May to October

Rudbeckia hirta (Black-eyed susan) - June to October

Salvia azurea (Pitcher sage) - September to November

Salvia farinacea (Mealy blue sage) - April to October

Vernonia baldwinii (Baldwin's ironweed) - July to November

Wedelia texana (Zexmenia) - May to November

Blue mistflower
Conoclinium coelestinum

Maximilian sunflower
Helianthus maximiliani

Texas liatris
Liatris punctata var. mucronata

Cardinal flower
Lobelia cardinalis

Tahoka daisy
Machaeranthera tanacetifolia

Blackfoot daisy
Melampodium leucanthum

Mexican hat
Ratibida columnifera

Black-eyed susan
Rudbeckia hirta

Pitcher sage
Salvia azurea

Mealy blue sage
Salvia farinacea

Baldwin's ironweed
Vernonia baldwinii

Zexmenia
Wedelia acapulcensis var. hispida