Mr. Smarty Plants - Hankering for a view-blocking hedge in Hempstead, TX.

Wednesday - July 03, 2013

From: Hempstead, TX
Topic: Planting, Privacy Screening, Shrubs
Title: Hankering for a view-blocking hedge in Hempstead, TX.

QUESTION:

Hempstead is 50 miles west of Houston and I am looking for a fast growing native to provide a block of a view for a fairly large area (about half a block). I would prefer something that is also beneficial for birds.

ANSWER:

To look for some possibilities, lets go to our Native Plant Database. After clicking on the link, scroll down to the Combination Search Box, and make the following selections: choose Texas under State, Shrub under Habit, and Perennial under Duration. Check Sun under Light requirement ,and Moist under Soil moisture. Click the "Submit combination Search" button and you will get a list of 51 native species occurring in Texas that meet these parameters. Clicking on the name of each plant will bring up its NPIN database page that describes the plant's characteristics, its growth requirements as well as pictures.

Since this a common query that Mr. Smarty Plants receives, there are  previous answers that you can look at. Here are a couple from Texas; one is from Hempstead, and the other is from Magnolia. I think they can help answer your question.