Mr. Smarty Plants - Alternative to grass as groundcover in area used by dog

Friday - January 05, 2007

From: Pasadena, CA
Topic: Groundcovers
Title: Alternative to grass as groundcover in area used by dog

QUESTION:

I am looking for a beautiful groundcover to use instead of grass which need to be soft and animal friendly. My dog is in the yard a lot and she's 10 yrs old. I am looking for a groundcover which will be soft for her, easy to maintain and beautiful to look at.

ANSWER:

Unfortunately, there is probably no plant, native or otherwise that fits your criteria: non-grass groundcover, dog-friendly, dog-resistant, and attractive. None even come close. While Bermuda grass and Zoysia grass are not native grasses, they are probably the most dog-friendly, dog-resistant groundcovers you will find that are suitable for your area their problems notwithstanding.