Mr. Smarty Plants - Is non-native <i>Ixora</i> poisonous to horses?

Wednesday - June 26, 2013

From: West Palm Beach, FL
Topic: Poisonous Plants
Title: Is non-native Ixora poisonous to horses?

QUESTION:

My horse was eating an ixora bush at a park in south florida. Is the Ixora shrub poisonous to horses?

ANSWER:

No species of Ixora is listed on the Toxic and Non-Toxic Plant List – Horses from the ASPCA.  The ASPCA also lists both Ixora javanica and Ixora coccinea as "non-toxic" to cats or dogs.  It probably doesn't occur on the ASPCA list for horses as "non-toxic" because it generally is a non-native ornamental that wouldn't be encountered by horses.  I think your horse will be fine.  Maybe the Ixora plant didn't fare so well, though.